Improve and increase your technical and practical use of english for social, work, and everyday situations – improve your English proficiency and confidence in your use of English.
This Program covers the essentials of English and focuses on improvement of reading, writing and understanding.
The Program will increase technical and practical proficiency, and starts by explaining the different types of English words, the importance of sentences and paragraphs, what they do and how they should be put together, and teaches how to improve English usage, knowledge and communication.
The Program deals with what needs to be known for success in Examinations, and for progress to more complex and professional English studies
Summary of major topics covered in this diploma program:
- English words, the Alphabet, capital and small letters, vowels, consonants, syllables; singular, plural.
- Parts of speech: nouns, pronouns, adjectives, prepositions, verbs, adverbs, conjunctions; gender.
- Sentences: subjects, objects, word order, compound sentences.
- Statements, questions, commands.
- Verbs, finite forms, action.
- Verb tenses – present, future, past; simple, continuous, perfect; conjugation.
- Pronouns: why and when used; objects, subjects; potential errors; position and meaning in sentences.
- Adjectives: uses and types, articles, colours, numbers.
- Adverbs: uses, position, qualifying words.
- Punctuating sentences: full stops, commas, colons; question, exclamation, quotation marks; dashes.
- English dictionaries; spelling, accents, meanings; vocabulary; suffixes, prefixes; word confusion.
- Positive and negative sentences and questions; ‘not’ and abbreviations.
- Changing sentence tenses.
- Sentences and paragraphs; passive and active, short and long.
- Dialogue: direct and indirect speech.
- Making written English interesting; writing stories and about events.
- Comprehension, understanding written passages of text, the context of written English, answering questions.
- Letter writing: social, business and private letters; their aims, layout, structure, content and features.
Essential Everyday English
- Module 1 – English Words
- Module 2 – More About Nouns
- Module 3 – Sentences
- Module 4 – More About Verbs
- Module 5 – More About Pronouns
- Module 6 – More About Adjectives and Adverbs
- Module 7 – Punctuation of Sentences
- Module 8 – The English-English Dictionary, Vocabulary and Word Building
- Module 9 – Positive and Negative Sentences
- Module 10 – Sentences and Paragraphs
- Module 11 – Passages of Writing and Comprehension
- Module 12 – Introduction to Letter Writing